Ron Runestad from Powers Distributing and Will Branch from Detroit’s Corridor Sausage Co. show us fun ways to serve your favorite craft beer.
Barbecue with Beer this summer, thanks to Powers Distributing Co.
5 lbs pork shoulder, deboned and chilled
35 g salt
15 g sugar
7 g black pepper
7 g coriander
40 g mustard powder
20 g fresh garlic
20 g fresh ginger
5 g nutmeg
1 C North Peak Diabolical IPA
1) In a large, chilled bowl, mix all ingredients thoroughly and until sticky. Mix should stay hold and not warm up
2) Stuff mixture into presoaked casings
1) Add olive oil to a large sauté pan and sear on each side until golden brown.
Remove sausage once seared.
2) Add onions to saute pan and cook until translucent. About 3 minutes
3) Add sausage on top of the onions and add 1 bottle of IPA, or enough to cover. Place a lid on the pan and cook until sausage is cooked through, 5- 10 minutes.
4) Leave sausage in cooking liquid until ready to serve. Serve with a good beer.
Whole Grain Citrus & Beer Mustard
Courtesy of Will Branch, owner of Detroit’s Corridor Sausage Co.
1 Cup Saugatuck Brewing Company’s Michigan Wheat Beer
1/2 C fresh squeezed orange juice zest from oranges
1/2 C yellow mustard seed
1/3 C brown mustard seed
2 tbsp mustard powder
1/4 C brown sugar
4 cloves ground nutmeg
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp salt
1) juice and zest oranges
2) toast the mustard seeds in a hot pan til fragrant. If the cloves and allspice are whole (not pre-ground) toast those as well.
3) Add all ingredients to a large bowl and let sit for 24 hours.
4) Blend all ingredients in a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender. The mixture will thicken.
5) Pot mustard and serve.
Originally published in Fox Detroit.
By Connie Smith, Fox 2 Staff