This hearty stew is excellent for all seasons, but is perfect for a rainy or cool day.
1/5 lb dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
2lbs kale, cleaned and steams removed
1 bulb fennel, medium diced
2leaks, whites only and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, fresh
1 tsp caraway seed, toasted & ground
2 tbsp harissa or 1 tbsp chili powder & 1 tbsp cumin, toasted & ground
1/2 tsp cloves
1lbs Corridor Sausage Co.’s Lamb Merguez sausage, links
4cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1) Set oven to 300-degrees
2) Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven.
3) Sweat fennel, leaks, garlic and ginger until slightly
4) Add 4 cups of chicken stock, harissa, car
away, and the black-eyed peas. Bring to a simmer on the stovetop, then place the Dutch oven in the oven for about 2 hours or until beans are almost tender. Add water if the beans dry out.
5) After places in Dutch oven in the oven, add olive oilto another pan, bring to medium heat on the stovetop and sear the merguez sausage on all sides. Transfer
seared sausage to a plate with paper towel. Reserve until the beans are tender.
6) Remove Dutch oven from the oven and add the kale, juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper to taste and stir. Add the sausage to the top, cover the Dutch oven, and place back in the over for about 15 minutes or until the beans and sausage are cooked.
7) Season with salt and pepper and serve.