(WJBK) – Marking 85 years of nurturing Detroit’s young people and families, The Children’s Center celebrates its continuing mission of service and thanks its supporters by showcasing Detroit-grown food, music and art at “Tour de Fork” on Friday, Oct. 3.
Presented by Ford Motor Company, Tour de Fork is a strolling dinner party featuring local chefs preparing Detroit-grown and prepared cuisine and craft cocktails, entertainment showcasing local musicians, and inspiring artwork created by the community youth.
Vietnamese Chicken Sausage with Rice Noodles
This dish is a take on a classic Vietnamese noodle dish utilizing Corridor Sausage Co.’s artisan Vietnamese Chicken Sausage and ingredients found in at many grocery stores or Asian markets.
1 package Corridor Sausage Co.’s Vietnamese Chicken Sausage (1 lb)
1 package rice vermicelli noodles (small or medium thickness)
Cucumber, sliced thin
Scallions, cut thinly
Toasted & chopped peanuts
Pickled Carrots & Daikon (optional)
1 large carrot, skinned, cut into matchsticks
Daikon (equal amount as carrot), skinned, cut into matchsticks
½ C vinegar
1 T sugar
3 T water
Place the carrot and daikon into a jar on non-reactive container. Whisk the water, vinegar, sugar and salt together until dissolved. Pour over carrot and daikon. Let the pickled sit out at room temp for 24 hours then refrigerate. Keep for up to 3 weeks.
2 T water
1 T sugar
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T fish sauce
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1 thinly sliced thai chili or 1 tbsp finely minced jalapeno
Whisk all ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
To Prepare the dish
1) Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the vermicelli noodles
2) Preheat a grill or saute pan to medium heat. Grill or saute the sausage, charring both sides, and cooking the sausage through. About 5-7 minutes a side.
3) Divide the cooked noodles between 4 bowls.
4) Slice the links of sausage into pieces and place on top of the noodles.
5) Garnish the bowl with pickled daikon and carrots, torn mint, torn thai basil, chopped cilantro, sliced cucumbers, sliced scallions, and chopped peanuts.
6) Serve with a side of the dipping sauce.